- Information returns such as W-2s and 1099s are now due to the IRS and Social Security Administration by January 31, the same day they are due to recipients. Previously, these forms were not due to the IRS until February 28, or March 31 if being filed electronically.
Other income tax and related returns with due date changes include:
- Partnership tax returns are now due March 15 (instead of April 15) or 2 ½ months after the close of its tax year. Partnerships will also now receive an automatic 6 month extension so that the extended due date will remain September 15.
- Calendar year C corporation tax returns are now due April 15 (instead of March 15) or 3 ½ months after the close of its tax year. Calendar year C corporations will receive an automatic 5 month extension to September 15 through the 2026 filing season. Starting with the 2027 filing season, calendar year C corporations will have an automatic 6 month extension to October 15.
- C corporations with a June 30 year end will keep their September 15 filing deadline until the 2026 filing season, when the deadline will become October 15. The extended due date for these returns will now be April 15.
- C corporations with year ends other than December 31 or June 30 are now due 3 ½ months after their year end. They will receive an automatic 6 month extension to 9 ½ months after their year end.
- Trust and estate income tax returns will now receive an automatic 5 ½ month extension to September 30 (instead of a 5 month extension to September 15).
- FinCEN Report 114 (reporting of an interest in a foreign account) is now due April 15 and will be eligible for a 6 month extension to October 15. The due date for this return was previously June 30 and there was no extension available.
- Non-profit entities filing the Form 990 series returns will now receive an automatic 6 month extension of time to file. These entities previously had two 3 month extensions available. The new rules eliminate the need for the 3 month extensions and allow one 6 month extension.
If you have any questions regarding these due date revisions, please contact us!